22nd ANNUAL GOLF OUTING
Friday, June 22, 2018
10:00 AM - Driving range open
10:40 AM - Golfers in carts
11:00 AM - Shotgun Start
Click HERE to register by June 8.
LOCATIONDarby Creek Golf Course - 19300 Orchard Rd, Marysville, OH 43040
Our popular 2 person mixed format - 6 holes alternate shot, 6 holes best ball, 6 holes scramble. Lots of great prizes!
Proceeds benefit the Younger Member Group, ASCE student activities at Ohio University and The Ohio State University, and other ASCE member benefits. The outing has raised almost $44,000 in 21 years!
Lunch buffet with hambergers, hot dogs, sides, deserts and drinks.
Dinner includes steaks, chicken, sides, pie and drinks.
$70.00 per golfer
We are also seeking hole sponsors for $100 or lunch, dinner, or beverage cart sponsors for $250 (includes recognition as hole sponsor)
Contact Jim Pajk, Golf Outing Chairperson, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-359-8658 for any questions concerning signups or sponsorships.
Central Ohio Section Members:
The May luncheon was a great event that included induction of the 2018-2019 Board members, presentation of Life Member certificates, and presentation of the “Outstanding Section Member” and “Outstanding Civil Engineer” awards. Congratulations to everyone for these achievements!
Please review our entire May newsletter for information on upcoming events, including webinars, golf outing, and Columbus Crew outing. We are in need of a volunteer to serve as Newsletter Editor, so please contact Brooks Vogel if you are interested.
As I conclude my term as Section President, I want to extend my sincere thanks to the ASCE Central Ohio members and leaders for their mentorship and support during my tenure on the Board. Not only am I leaving the Board, but I have recently moved to Cleveland, Ohio, so am also leaving the Central Ohio Section. A special thanks to Peter Narsavage and Brooks Vogel for stepping into Board positions next year to help ease the transition.
Best wishes to you all and have a safe and healthy summer!
Chris Nye, PE
President – ASCE Central Ohio Section
OUTSTANDING CENTRAL OHIO SECTION MEMBER - Dr. Daniel Pradel, PhD, PE, GE, DGE, F.ASCE
Soon after joining Ohio State University as a Professor of Practice in the Department of Civil, Environmental, and Geodetic Engineering, Dr. Pradel became involved with the ASCE Central Ohio Section. He initiated the establishment of the Central Ohio Geo-Institute section, organizing technical speakers for the benefit of our members. Additionally, as Professor of Practice, he has bolstered Ohio State’s geotechnical engineering program through teaching, research, and involvement with industry associations. We thank Daniel for his many contributions to the Section!
OUTSTANDING CIVIL ENGINEER OF CENTRAL OHIO – Jim Pajk, PE
Jim has served the Central Ohio community at the Franklin County Engineer’s office since 1997 and as Franklin County Bridge Engineer since 2001. He has also been an active member of ASCE for many years, including roles on the Central Ohio Board, Ohio Council, starting the ASCE Civil Engineering Career Day, and initiated (and still manages) the annual golf outing. He has attended the annual ASCE Fly-In in Washington, D.C for over 15 years and now serves as an ASCE Advocacy Captain, raising awareness about key issues to legislators and the public. Through his service to our community, Jim exemplifies the public image and perception of the civil engineer and its profession.
2018 LIFE MEMBER AWARDS
- Richard Mark (pictured, left)
- Mark Pochodylo (pictured, middle)
- David Caprio (pictured, right)
- Hojjat Adeli
- Robert Lawler
- William Watterson
- David Connelly
- Brad Smith
- Robert Ballard
2018-19 ASCE CENTRAL OHIO SECTION BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- President - Peter Narsavage (far right)
- 1st Vice President - Brooks Vogel (middle)
- 2nd Vice President - Jon Sterenberg (far left)
- Treasurer - Patrick Karnes (2nd from right)
- Secretary - Linda Kaplan (2nd from left)
- Member-at-Large - Phil Hinson (not present)
DELEGATES TO OHIO COUNCIL OF LOCAL ASCE SECTIONS
- Jim Pajk
- Peter Narsavage
- Greg Barden
- Mike Bashore
- Mike Mazzoli
- Beth Meek
- Mark Seidelmann
LESSONS LEARNED FROM THE DESIGN, CONSTRUCTIOn, AND MAINTENANCE OF PERMEABLE PAVEMENTS FOR STORMWATER MANAGEMENT
->Free to Central Ohio Section ASCE Members
->Seating is limited to the first 25 people
->Bring your own lunch
Purpose and Background
The use of permeable pavements for stormwater management is gaining rapid acceptance across North America. While permeable pavements have been around for decades, their continued performance relies on critical design and construction considerations, and on regular surface cleaning. This webinar highlights best practices for the design, construction and long-term maintenance of asphalt, concrete and interlocking concrete permeable pavements. Lessons learned from the preparation of a new ASCE Standard for the Design of Permeable Pavements are presented. Attendees will learn how to design lasting permeable pavement and effectively manage stormwater at the source.
Primary Discussion Topics
- Permeable pavement site characterization
- Risk matrix for the evaluation of the suitability of a permeable pavement for a specific site location
- Design detailing for permeable pavements
- Lessons learned from the construction and maintenance of permeable pavements
- Recognize factors that may impact the suitability of a site for a permeable pavement
- Understand common design and construction features important to the performance of permeable pavements
- Understand the impact of permeable pavement design features
- Communicate and promote sustainable pavement design and construction
- Discover how to build a lasting permeable pavement
- Determine if a particular site is suitable for a permeable pavement
- Design a lasting permeable pavement
- Effectively manage stormwater at the source
- Recognize best practices for the design, construction and maintenance of permeable pavements
- Recognize good construction practices
- Determine if a site is suitable for a permeable pavement
- Effectively manage stormwater
- Design a pavement to last
- Key construction and maintenance practices
- Communicate the purpose and functionality of a permeable pavement
- Methods to ensure high quality construction of permeable pavements
*The Central Ohio Section is partnering with ASCE to promote live and on-demand webinars. Use the Promo Code WEBCENOHSEC when signing up and ASCE will provide a portion of the registration fee to the Section to use toward more free webinars. Thank you for your support!
Want to get involved? The Central Ohio Section is in need of a volunteer to serve as newsletter editor.
- Exciting position to develop involvement in the Central Ohio Section and generate excitement within the Section
- Give back to the Section and our industry
- Attendance at board meetings and other events
- Networking opportunity - contact with all members
- Possibilities for advancement
- No skill required - training available
- Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions or if you are interested.
- Thank you for your support of our section!
The acclaimed giant-screen documentary Dream Big: Engineering Our World has inspired and delighted audiences in museums around the world.
Now, ASCE with generous support from the United Engineering Foundation (UEF) has set an ambitious goal: to put a copy of the Dream Big film and educational toolkit in every public school in America.
To reach every school, we need your help!
Give $5 to send the school of your choice a toolkit containing:
- A DVD of the full-length feature film in English, French, Spanish and closed captioned, licensed for educational screenings only
- The complete teacher’s guide
- All companion videos
- Downloadable files for classroom use
Use the search box at the top the https://www.engineersdreambig.org/ webpage to locate a public school.
If you cannot find the school you are looking for, it may have already been chosen as a recipient by someone else. Please consider making a contribution to a general fund for schools still in need.
|Planning Meeting||All||TBD||Brooks Vogel|
|June 22, 2018
|22nd Annual Golf Outing||ASCE||Darby Creek Golf Course||Jim Pajk|